At Gawber, we have our own Literacy, Maths and Science strategies which have been designed to meet the specific needs of our children.
We use “Read Write Inc.” for our teaching of phonics. Our reading scheme is Oxford Reading Tree supplemented by other banded reading books.
Our Curriculum is built around the objectives set out in the national curriculum.
As a staff we have planned the delivery of the curriculum so that all year groups are clear of the areas they will teach.
Topics are chosen to develop key knowledge and skills in curriculum areas through a common context and are chosen to be engaging and relevant to the children. Discreet subjects are taught where relevant.
- All classes have visits that are linked to the curriculum to enhance learning including opportunities for competitive sport.
- There are two residential visits for Years 5 and 6 linked to the curriculum
- Children will experience a variety of theme days across the year linked to key areas of the curriculum e.g. Science Investigations / E-Safety/Art Week
- We encourage strong links with the community e.g. parent volunteers and local speakers are welcome in school.
- We put great emphasis on a stimulating and interactive environment to promote learning.
- All children are encouraged to question and explore topics using a range of sources including books, computers and first-hand experience.
- We encourage a diverse programme of teaching from whole class to group and independent working.
- We promote tolerance and respect for people from other faiths, cultures and lifestyles by everyone in school modelling good manners and treating others how we wish to be treated ourselves.
- From the very beginning all children are involved in an assessment programme which aims to identify any individual needs so that all children are able to reach their full potential.
Please visit our twitter page @GawberSchool or arrange a visit to school to speak with a member of staff.
Find information about our curriculum subjects here: